Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Harmony, harmony, oh how I love barbershop harmony...

So there I was...sitting amongst a rather crusty group of men with various styles of comb-overs and facial hair. We were making music together. I mean real music! The barbershop kind. It was awesome! The group is called the Sarpy Serenaders. Sarpy is the county we are going to be living in up here. The group is pretty good. It's small as far as barbershop choruses go I think. There were about 7 bases (including me), 5 leads, 3-4 tenors and 2 baritones. The average age of the group I think would be around 75 if it weren't for the three younger guys to bring it down drastically. I think one of the leads is in college, one of the tenors is maybe in high school, maybe college and then there's me. Really though, it surprised me that they sounded some good when I began to notice that nearly half of them wore hearing aids! NOT KIDDING!

But needless to say, the men are all great! Several of them are retired Air Force guys, which is cool and they were all sharing their stories with me during the break. Speaking of the break, when we went out to the foyer (where Jelaine was sitting reading our new home warranty manual) they all got in a little huddle and then turned around and started serenading my her with "Let me call you Sweetheart." It was great!

Tonight, I might even go to a baseball game where they are going to sing the National Anthem. And if there's one way to make a baseball game better it is to start it with a barbershop quartet singing the national anthem.

Finally, I would like to explain, for most of you other than E and T3 that what J was trying to remember on her blog was SPEBSQSA. This stands for the Society for the Preservation and Encouragement of BarberShop Quartet Singing in America.

Anyway, we'll get some pics of the house out soon. Today we go to the official orientation/walk through. Should be fun! Unfortunately, Jelaine has to head back to OKC as soon as we are done there. Pray for a safe trip for her.

Kilroy was here!

6 comments:

Viki said...

Why didn't I know you sang bass? You'd strike me as no lower than a baritone. Maybe it's because you're so small compared to most basses, or maybe it's because your speaking voice is higher....

Yay for the SPEBSQSA! Hope you keep singing with em...

TreyJ said...

Sounds like fun, dood. Looking forward to seeing your place!

Anonymous said...

You'll have to sing on my voicemail sometime he he he Wait, that would require you remembering my phone #..nevermind ;oP

"E" said...

Lida A Rose, I'm Home Again Rose.

I miss singing Tenor in the TExas Millionaires. Yes I was a millionaire, then I gave it all up because of a woman!

ArmandII said...

Hahaha...isn't that how it always is E? :-)
Yeah, its funny that you say that Viki, cause most people do. For both reasons, but I've got some long vocal chords. Unfortunately, they haven't been stretched and used in a while so it will be a while before I get my range back.

ArmandII said...

You didn't have to go there Andy, you're not a fighter pilot remember? :-)

Kilroy was here!