Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The "Footprint of Freedom"

So there I was...

...stuck in the middle of the Indian Ocean on a tropical island paradise with nothing to do...

Did I say stuck? Well that might be stretching it. Ok, yes, the Air Force did send me here without warning or even asking whether I wanted to go or not. And yes, I don't get to leave until they tell me too, and even if I wanted to, I would have no means of leaving because they control all modes of travel in and out of Diego Garcia B.I.O.T. But I guess I could be a lot worse off.

Did I say nothing to do? Ok, so that was just an outright LIE! Since I have been here I done the following (in no particular order):

Snorkeled 5 times
Swam in the pool
Windsurfed once
Ran on the island (Running a 5k tonight to get a free T-shirt)
Played in a beach volleyball tourney for a free T-shirt
Sailed twice (recieving a legitemate sailing license)
Watch out Scott, I am going to be ready for that sailing trip from New York in no time)
Deep Sea fished twice...with another trip in the making (the second one got cut short due to
inclement weather so the next trip is free)
Toured this cool Satelite tracking facility
Visited Turtle Cove (A protected area of the island for sea life)
Eaten freshly caught and cooked/grilled fish at least 6 times (two were the fish I caught, to
include: Grouper, Snapper, Jobe Fish, Sweet Lips, Bonita Tuna, Yellow Tail Tuna, another
kind of tuna, and my favorite: Whaho (sp)

And to answer T3s question, if there is such a thing as to much fresh fish, I am getting pretty close.

Oh and lets not forget the 1 hour massage for 15 bucks. (I plan to get another one of those)

Well, I am sure I am forgetting something but my time is just about out and this guy just showed up next to me with a huge waad of tobacco that is stinking up the whole room and making me sick. :-) (random...)

Oh, I guess I should mention that we've flown a few times to.

I only wish my wife...and maybe the boyz were here to share it with me.

Kilroy was here!

7 comments:

TreyJ said...

Getting a free T-shirt is cool, but I don't know if running to get a free shirt is cool.

Have fun - come home soon (or get us out there with you).

ArmandII said...

Wish I could bring you man. About the T-shirt, turns out they cancelled the run so we didn't get any t-shirts, but about 6 of us decided to run anyway. This one guy made me run really fast...I thought I wasn't going to be able to keep up, but I beat him in the end with my world famous kick. :-)

Kilroy was here!

TreyJ said...

OK dude...they cancel the run and the t-shirt, but you go anyway????

H Noble said...

Glad they aren't overworking you! ;)

I must say I'm impressed that there is a fish called Sweet Lips- I'll have to google it.

Good to hear from you!
H

Viki said...

H, I agree - I want to try this Sweet Lips stuff. Oh, and you can never eat too much fish. :-)

Oh, and I'd run a 5K for a free t-shirt, even though I don't really wear t-shirts. I'd take the 15 buck massage afterward of course!

Eva said...

Well, I have been worried about you and praying for you, and now I find out you are 'vactioning'!

I won't stop worrying until you are home, though, and the prayers for your safe return will continue.

Mom
(Viki's Mom that is)

ArmandII said...

Thank you for your prayers and thoughts. Things are going well here, and I hope to be home pretty soon.

Kilroy was here!