So there I was...
Pondering the experiences of the last few days. I was reminded of a quote that hit home this week. "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know." I don't repeat this quote lightly. I don't even claim to understand it fully, for I am one of the "protected." I have yet to serve my country in any significant measure. I have yet to fully sacrifice self for others. I am indebted to those who have though, and I want to say thank you.
The last few days have opened my eyes to a few things, and one of those is the extent to which I have to take my freedom for granted. There are so many heroes out there that have given of themselves freely, voluntarily, and sacrificially for me, my family, and my friends. These heroes sit in the shadows and play down what they have done, but their service should not go unnoticed. One such hero is E's dad, Roland. He is a hero to us all, and yet his humble admittance of his service in one of America's most difficult and complicated conflicts is rarely acknowledged. Trey is also an America hero. Some would laugh at this, including Trey perhaps, but his service and sacrifice should not be overlooked. He has brought life and hope and morale to his comrades and coworkers for several years now and I want him to know it is not superficial.
The other American heroes are the families of those who serve or have served: Debbie, Alyssa, E, Viki, and the countless others. Each have sacrificed hopes and dreams, life goals and more...sometimes temporarily, sometimes all together, just to support their heroes. Some have spent days, months and even years away from their loved ones praying vigilantly for their return. And even after their return, some have had to accept losing a part of their heroes to the memories and experiences they have forcefully subdued in their minds to protect those they have returned to. All the time, never realizing that they are the drive, the inspiration, the very reason their heroes do what they do.
We should all recognize these selfless acts of service. Until we do, we will never stop taking for granted the freedoms we have. We should look upon our heroes with dignity, respect, and even awe. We should keep foremost in our minds the question, "What does freedom truly taste like," and yet hope never really have to know. Because I imagine it may not always be such a sweet and glorious taste. Like wine, it is necessary that it take on a bitter, even sour one sometimes to remind us that it must be nurtured...protected, so that it may age properly and mature into a rich, deep, and palatable flavor. Freedom isn't free, but let us thank those who have given of thier own freedoms to protect ours. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. (John 15:13)
God Bless our American Heroes!
3 comments:
That is deep bro. Even though you might not felt like you have sacrificed for this country, believe you have. Ask Jelaine. True you have never fought in a major conflict, but you have sacrificed time to be with your wife, family and friends. You are being trained so later on few lives will be lost because you are on the front lines getting real time information. Even though you might not be on the ground hold a gun, you will be a hero to so many people that will never know your name, because you were the pilot that got the information that saved their lives.
Armand is right about Trey as well, you are a hero bro, and you will have my admiration forever.
Thank you for your sacrifices, that you continue to make. You guys are Awesome!!!!!
Armand, you always put things so beautifully. There are certainly some heroes I have gotten to know (yes, you're one of them) and I'm so thankful for it. Every time one of my good friends here in Naples says s/he's being sent to Iraq or Afghanistan, all I can do is hold my breath until his/her return.
I have to speak up for Trey, because I think you overwhelmed him with this - he doesn't think he's a hero at all. I keep telling him that keeping up morale, especially right now, is so important for our country. Everyone has their own little piece to contribute, and that's his.
I also want to point out some other folks, like the ones I work with at Liberty in Naples. All of us hang out all day making sure that these guys get the chance to relax...and sometimes more. Friday we became an ear for some to listen to.
Anyway, thank you.
"What does freedom truly taste like," and yet hope never really have to know.
Armand:
You've always been the one to put into perspective all the things we think but can't say. Thanks for doing this again with this special topic.
It is easy to sit in an office in Dallas, TX and get upset with the ways and means of our country and freedom. It is easy to blame and point and situations and people. Thanks for putting it back into focus.
More than that, Thanks for being my hero. You and Trey will never know the level of envy or jeliousy for the things you are doing and places you are going with your life. You both have answered a higher calling to your life through service to others.
Thanks.
Post a Comment