So there I was...
...GPS in hand, wandering the streets and parks of (oh I almost told you where I am), lets just say wandering the streets and parks of a strange place looking for treasure the size of coke can or a card deck or a film canister or maybe even a postage stamp.
So some of you might know what geocaching is but some may not. Jelaine and I have been wanting to do it for a while and I finally got the chance. A friend that lives here goes a lot and took a few of us. It is basically modern day treasure hunting...except you don't take the treasure, you just sign the log book and leave it for someone else to find. You get a set of coordinates (lat and long) and track it with a handheld GPS. That only gets you within 5-20 feet though. Then you have to search feverishly under pine needless and behind signs and rocks to find the object. Sometimes it is pretty big, but sometimes, like I said above, it is magnetic and the size of a stamp and stuck on the back of a sign in the park that says "please remove all excrement" (in the local language) and has a picture of a dog with a pile of poo behind him. Don't worry pictures to follow soon.
Long story short it is a great time! And I think the boyz should get together and do it sometime. It does take patience though...a lot harder than I originally thought.
Well, while we were geocaching we discovered another form of local entertainment. This one is actually for children but it that never stopped me before. Imagine this: The stairs ascend to a blistering height...hernia hill height to be exact. At the top is a slide, but this is no boring american made metal slide...this is a genuine DFW airport lugage conveyor on an incline. It is really hard to imagine but there are row after row after row of giant bead-like wheels that form the surface of the slide. And the slide doesn't just go straight down, it winds in a spiral. That of course doesn't stop you from reaching terminal velocity by the time you get to the bottom. It was AWESOME!! You ride down on your feet, squating...well you try, until to you get going to fast cause it is raining and the whole thing is wet...then you fall on your rear end and get soaked but keep traveling at mach snot toward the bottom. Then you get to the bottom and since you are already wet and dirty you make the ascent up hernia hill and do it all over again. I have pictures of this to so I'll get them posted as soon as I can. Til then you will have to let your imagination run wild.
Hope everyone is well. Blue skies and God's speed.
Kilroy was here!
9 comments:
Alright - I've heard of the treasure hunting before and would love to try it sometime. I read a newspaper piece not too long ago about it.
This second thing sounds fun, but I'll need pictures to completely understand it. Looking forward to hearing more about it.
Another crazy adventure brought to you by Kilroy! Sounds like a blast. I have geocached. It is fun. The new TA course has an afternoon of it!
J
I think our neighborhood park has a miniature version of the slide you are talking about. Freaked my nephew out because of the rollers on it, but Justin and I loved sliding on it!
Holly
The first sounds fun - something I would be willing to try. The second sounds a little too much for me...I'd have to try Holly's neighborhood park's version first.
Do you ever do any work? ;) The slide sounds cool. There used to be one in CO but I always wondered if it was possible to get your fingers stuck in it and it kinda creeped me out (didn't stop me from going down, but made my 5 year-old mind wonder) :)~
HAHAHA...yes I work. And actually am doing that a lot lately, but I find time to have fun too. I'm going to try to post a bunch of pictures so hopefully you'll get to see some of my surroundings.
Kilroy was here!
Are you lonely for snow? We can send you pictures of that!
Or we can mail him some snow!!!! Something tells me the postal service wouldn't think that was very funny, though.
Well, truth be told, it wouldn't get through since you can't mail liquids and inevetably it would melt. But that would be cool! :-)
Post a Comment